Friday 18 November 2011

Pyjama Party

So last week my class voted to have a pyjama party as their marble treat (you know... they get a marble in the jar each time they do something good... when it's full they choose a treat). I promise that I did not influence them in this. Not at all. Even though the next thing I knew I wanted to sew was a pair of pyjamas. I've been planning them for ages - I even made a practise pair out of an old sheet - but it took the inducement of being permitted to wear the pyjamas not only outside the house, but at work, for me to finally get started on them.



Here they are. It's surprisingly difficult to take good photos of one's own pyjamas, particularly when you're inside and it's dark, and your husband has gone to the seaside without you and so cannot hold the camera for you. I tried to go for some fun jumping-off-the-bed shots, but as you can see it didn't work out perfectly...



Things I learned
- Measure carefully before you make buttonholes. Like, really carefully. (I managed to put them in the wrong place not once but twice, by which time I was so fed up that I left them where they were).
- Bias tape is AMAZING!*
- Sewing to a deadline when you feel kind of poorly on a Monday evening isn't nearly as fun as messing about making interesting looking pockets on a Saturday afternoon.


I got extremely cross with the sewing machine whilst I was making these. Particularly those buttonholes... so much frustration... and the pyjamas don't even have any buttons! Noah was in the room at the time and witnessed my grumpiness. I don't think he'd realised before what the actual process of making stuff looks like... he was kind of surprised. And understandably so: regardless of creation frustrations, I'm always insufferably delighted as soon as I finish a garment!

*Seriously amazing. Just put that stuff anywhere near an iron and suddenly you can transform it into whatever shape you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment